Saturday, July 17, 2010

Chives

You'll love having chives in your garden they are pretty and tasty too. Chives are cool-season, cold-tolerant perennials that prefer full sun and fertile, well-drained soils. Seeds should be planted 1/4 inch deep and plant spacing should be 4-6 inches apart in all directions. Harvest chives when needed by cutting or breaking with fingers remove the leaves close to the ground. They spread so easily by seed that you could even start one in a pot indoors.
http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/HG_2004-01.pdf is a great resource for any gardener I found a lot of the technical chive details there.

1 comment:

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

I LOVE chives -- I planted one plant five years ago and it has grown into a bush! Living in the Midwest with harsh winters, I am surprised that each spring it's one of the first of my herbs to start growing!