Monday, March 16, 2009

Miss Amaryllis... Although You Photograph Well, a Picture Doesn't Capture Your Charm

Holiday Amaryllis

Hippeastrum 'Minerva'

This year I did not force my Hippeastrum to bloom during the Christmas season (I had hoped to, but...) but this one was "Just Perfect" for Valentines. (Minerva is a funny name for an amaryllis though.... um no offence to anyone named Minerva)

Hippeastrum 'Minerva'

I like this pot this is a new addition to my pot inventory. I bought it this year at "The D.I." (our local charity store) for under $2.00. Good buy? I love getting all my pots at "The D.I."

Hippeastrum 'Minerva'

Making a gorgeous and very impressive display this is one of the biggest Hippeastrum I have seen. It measured over 2 feet tall not including the bulb, just starting from the stem to the top.


Amaryllis 'Apple Blossom'

AKA

Our Clearance Puppy



This Amaryllis bloomed next, it's an apple blossom hippeastrum that was not nearly as tall but just as beautiful as the other. We bought it on clearance for $2.99 at Home depot about jan. 20th. It bloomed about the 20th of Feb. It was a wonderful buy. We've nick named it "Our Clearance Puppy" Like "Marley" from "Marley and Me". You should check it out at B&N (see side panel)


My B-day Amaryllis

Amaryllis 'Susan'

Grown in a beautiful green and white glass vase with just rocks and water. I was afraid it wouldn't bloom but it put up a very short stock and just a few days later it bloomed on the shortest stem i have seen only about 2 inches from the bulb (but, you can't really tell here). It's leaves also just gave up after it bloomed are just laying limp to the side of the vase very sad really. But, Hopefully It'll get enough sun (and fertilizer if I do not forget) to give me a good showing next year. Have any of you had luck growing amaryllis in water? So I've had the largest and most healthy Amaryllis and the shortest weakest that I've ever seen.

Amaryllis 'Susan'
Perfect Fortune!!!

We had another bloom the last of Feb. early mar. (just in time for my B-day) a beautiful dark pink named Susan. One is in bud right now named Nymph a beautiful double. I love these showy flowers.

2 comments:

Coral said...

Wes, I had no idea you loved flowers! Rob and I attempt to garden-we're more successful some years than others! I was wondering... can you grow amaryllis outside in Utah?

Wesley said...

Yes there are cold resistant Amaryllis but, they are relativly new and I haven't tried them. These type are not cold resistant so most are grown indoors espessially for holiday gifts. They come from tropical areas like brazil. Thanks Coral